"A fascinating insight into Ireland's ancient burial sites" - Irish Independent
the fields from Newgrange,
near the river Boyne, there are two large standing stones, marked
as sites C and D on the archaeological maps
of the Brú na Bóinne area. The one nearest to Newgrange,
stone C, is the larger of the two, and is the only one visible from
C was excavated, according to archaeologist Clare O'Kelly*, by Shee
and Evans in 1965. The stone has been cleverly fenced off by the
landowner to prevent scratching by cattle. This photo shows the
huge size of the stone.
*(Illustrated Guide to Newgrange, 1967, 1971, John English &
the east, stone C appears much thinner. This is typical of standing
stones which I have seen - most of them have a broad axis and a thin
stone C viewed from the north. From here the ground rolls away to
the south towards the banks of the river Boyne. In the background,
mound B can be made
out near the right edge of this photo.
this view, the river Boyne can be made out to the right of stone
1912, George Coffey* described stone C as follows: "On the
brow of the steep bank which rises at some distance behind these
grave-mounds a great block of compact sandstone grit has been set
on end, and forms a most remarkable standing stone ("C"),
similar to, but larger than, those set round the great mound. It
measures 10 feet high, and is 17 feet in girth."
and other incised tumuli in Ireland, 1912, 1977, Blandford Press)
is stone D, located further east from stone C, and in the next field.
It is quite a bit smaller than its counterpart. Coffey says: "In
the adjoining field a similar standing-stone will be found; but it
is not so large".
from the east, one could be excused for thinking that stone D resembles
a face certainly a nose and mouth are easily distinguished.
Again this view shows how the stone's N-S axis is much thinner than
the north the long axis is obvious again. There is plenty of lichen
growth on the stone, but it has not suffered deterioration due to